Saturday, June 20, 2015

Cheese Scallions Scones

There are days where I use my laptop to death, switching it on almost the moment I step into the house; and then there are days where I can spend days not even touching it at all. I went without turning on my laptop for the whole of the week. After staring at the computer the whole day at work, it is certainly a break after work cos I can do other stuff, like say, head out with friends, gym, read a book, or get addicted to mobile phone games (yes, I'm currently hooked onto Alpha Betty, no thanks to my colleague). Talk about subbing one form of technology with another. *shakes head at self*

Cheese Scallions Scones

So. We are here to talk about scones. My experience with scones so far have been of the sweet variety. Plain scones. Raisin scones. Blueberry scones. You get the drift. Yet, I've often seen recipes for savoury scones on the Internet, and I was curious to give it a try. So on one of the brunch-at-home sessions, savoury scones were the centerpiece.


You can't go wrong with cheesy anything. Add cheese to almost anything and it tastes awesome already. Cheese on toast. Cheese in risotto. Cheese in instant noodles. See?



Okay. So, the verdict? I liked these. And it's not just me, the fams also said these were good. See? Cheese is universally loved by all, (okay, I exaggerate) most people. These cheese scones tasted lovely warm outta the oven, but we all agreed that it was a touch too salty - perhaps because of the amount of cheese in the recipe? So while I definitely recommend making these, I would also recommend reducing the salt in the recipe too, cos if it's not salty enough, at least you could spread salted butter on it, but if it's too salty, you can't do anything about it.


Brunch that day - cheese scallions scones, truffled mushrooms, scrambled eggs, sausages, red cabbage + apple + roast chicken + edamame salad and matcha liege waffles (waffles recipe here, but with matcha powder).


Cheese Scallions Scones (adapted from Lyuba from Will Cook For Smiles)

220g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt (*recommended to reduce to 1 tsp)
57g of cold butter
2 cold eggs, lightly whisked
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup freshly grated Gouda cheese
½ cup of shredded sharp red cheddar cheese
2 tbsp scallions, chopped
buttermilk, for "eggwash"

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer.
Chop the cold butter into small slices and add to the dry ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients and butter until it looks like coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk together. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture while mixing on low speed. Add the cheeses and keep mixing until just combined.
Take the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough a few times (15-20 seconds), until smooth.
Pat the dough to about ½ inch thick.
Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
Using a round cookie cutter shape, cut out the scone circles.
Brush the scones lightly with buttermilk and bake for 12-14 minutes.
Remove from oven, cool slightly, serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...