Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pamplemousse Bistro & Bar

It was a last minute, scrambling about to find somewhere for brunch kinda day. In the end, we settled at Dempsey's Pamplemousse Bistro & Bar. When we arrived, the restaurant had yet to open and we were starving.  There was a brunch place next door that looked quite good and was relatively empty, but when we walked over, the hostress said that it was all reserved and they didn't have a spare table. :( Back to Pamplemousse to await for them to open.

Pamplemousse Bistro & Bar

Bread and butter

Hot bread rolls are always welcomed at our table. Soft and fluffy bread rolls with a slightly crunchy crust is even better welcomed. The bread rolls were quite good with the soft butter served, and it was hard to resist eating more to save space for our mains.

Appetizers

Dad and I had the lunch set meals, while the rest had ala-carte items from the weekend brunch menu. Dad's appetizer was a soup - a porcini mushroom soup with escargots, cordyceps and croutons. The taste was quite nice, and I thought that the touch of cordyceps was certainly unique - I've always associated that flavour with herbal soups though. My appetizer was a Frisée salad which included parma ham, a tea-infused egg, croutons, drizzled with a bacon vinaigrette. It was delicious - I don't normally like parma ham cos I find it too salty for my liking, but this was just nice, and I happily polish off the slices. I didn't quite like the tea infused egg though, it tasted a bit weird for my liking.


Eggs Benedict                    


Onglet Steak 

As usual, I had the beef. Served with pomme purée, vegetables and a madly heady truffle-infused Madeira sauce. The beef was good. I think it's the second possibly favourite beef dish (the favourite being Vis-à-vis) I've had in Singapore. The madeira sauce was really really really good. The pomme purée was smooth and melts in the mouth. Overall, a great dish.



Baked Eggs in Cocotte

One word of warning. Don't order the baked eggs if you're starving. It was supposed to take 20 minutes preparation. But all of us had already finished our mains while my poor Sis's boyfriend was still left waiting for it. It arrived just as we were tucking into our desserts. Tsk tsk. It had foie gras in it and I had a mouthful to try - not bad, but I don't think anyone should wait so long for a dish to be prepared...


“Toast and Milo” 

My dessert from the set menu was "Toast & Milo". It consisted of a piece or toasted brioche topped with dulce de leche, caramelised bananas and a chocolate disk and milo ice cream and nutella soil on the side. Quite nice. I like the caramelised bananas component, but the rest were pretty forgettable. The ice cream was too sweet and there wasn't much of a milo taste to it.

Dad's Melons and Sago
Valrhona Chocolate & Mango

Sis ordered the chocolate cake from the ala-carte menu. I liked the hazelnut dark chocolate cake though - I like anything (mostly) chocolate actually. It had a layer of crispy feuillitine layer in the middle which I think could have been thicker. ;) It's sweet though, so it's best paired with black coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...