Saturday, October 29, 2011

Chocolate and raspberry pots de crème

I'm forever trying to use up leftover cream. It's not my fault I swear. I was making the apple milk tea entremet and the only whipping cream in the house was the 1L package. Sigh. Okay, it's my fault then, for not making sure that we had some of the smaller 200ml packages in stock. I seriously want a feedback form to "provide my most sincere suggestion" to cream manufacturers to produce 500ml cream package.

Anyway, to cut the rant short, yeps, I had tons and tons of leftover cream and since the Sis already had a gazillion ice cream tubs in the freezer from an ice cream course she just attended, ice cream was out of the equation. The leftover options seemed to be panna cotta and other related cream cup desserts.



Chocolate and raspberry pots de crème



Chocolate pots de crème sounds good. Chocolate raspberry pots de crème sounds even better. I decided to splurge on a small container of fresh raspberries. Just because it's been so long since I had fresh raspberries.


I'm not too sure what I did wrong, but the pots de crème texture was not smooth and velvetly, but instead, kind of gritty. I wonder if it could be because I used frozen berries in the pots de crème and they released a lot of liquid into the batter...But it's okay, texture-wise it might not be perfect, but taste-wise, it sure tasted lovely.

These pots de crème were a lil on the rich side, so for those who don't have too much of a sweet tooth, I recommend baking these in smaller containers. Or if you're a real chocoholic, these should not be too much of a problem to finish! ;)

The combination of chocolate and raspberries were really delicious, and I used the fresh raspberries I bought to top off the dessert. Scrumptious!


Chocolate and raspberry pots de crème (adapted from Aran at Cannelle et Vanille)
(makes seven serving pots)

225g low fat milk
225g whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
40g sugar
80g egg yolks
1 tsp espresso granules
160g 72% Ghiradelli dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
Raspberries, fresh or frozen

Bring the milk, cream, vanilla bean and half of the sugar to a boil. Pour this over the chopped chocolate and espresso granules and stir until the mixture is smooth and chocolate is completely melted.
In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the remaining sugar. Temper the hot chocolate mixture into the egg yolks while whisking constantly. Strain the custard through a fine sieve into a large glass measuring cup.
Place some raspberries into individual ramekins and pour the custard into them. Place the ramekins on a sheetpan and bring this to a preheated 148C oven.
Place the sheetpan in the oven and pour hot water in the sheetpan. Bake the pot de creme in the water bath until center is set (depending on your ramekins, mine took about 40 - 45 minutes). Refrigerate until completely cooled. Top with fresh raspberries and serve cold.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! I've yet to try pots de creme.  Looks rich and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. These potes de creme look gorgeous and super scrumptious! I always have that problem with left over cream. Now I know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!  These look like beautiful little treats =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely pictures as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yolk measurement in grams, what the hell!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...