Saturday, October 22, 2011

Girls' brunch session

I've been staying at my new place for about three months or so, and I've yet to invite any of my friends over. So one weekend (of course, that's thanks to advanced planning on our part as it's always hard to schedule a meeting with all of them present), I got a bunch of them over for a homecooked brunch session. All of us chipped in a little dish (or two) and contributed to our feast for the day...

Girls' brunch session at home

Cheese sausages; Scrambled eggs 

AS USUAL, some of my girlfriends were late. We were supposed to meet at 11am at my place - those who were planning to cook at my placewill come slightly earlier. At 11am, there was only three of us - the other three were missing in action. Sigh. Why am I not surprised. ;)

We were starving and we only got around to start eating about 12pm? And when you're hungry, everything taste especially good. We were digging in with gusto and managed to polish off most of the food. In fact, by the time our last latecomer arrived an hour later, we've more or less cleared up most of the dishes (saving some of the food for her of course!).  

Fried potatoes with onions and mushrooms

This dish was so oh-my-god delicious. My girlfriend (who made the potato gratin dish below too) had leftover potatoes from the potato gratin, and decided to made a stir-fried potato dish. And the result? Freakin' delicious! I think I have to get the recipe from her. Even though we were both working together side by side in my tiny kitchen, I didn't look to see what she added to the pan. But judging from the looks, I assume she used olive oil, chopped garlic, sliced onions, mushrooms, chopped and preboiled potatoes and dried mixed herbs?

Potato gratin; Mixed fruits salad

Brunch plate heaped with homemade awesomeness

Brunch ideas:

Oh my girlfriend is fast! I've just posted the photos on Facebook, and I've got another friend who saw  the potatoes photo and requested for the recipe and my dear girlfriend replied almost immediately - so here's the recipe for the really delicious fried potatoes dish quoted verbatim!

Fried potatoes with mushrooms and onions
4 whole Large Red Potatoes
4 to 5 whole Portobello Mushrooms
1 whole Onion
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Or Olive Oil
2 Garlic cloves
Salt
Mixed herbs (Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Basil, Oregano, Sage)
Coarse black pepper

Place potatoes in a large pot and cover entirely with water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender. When they are ready, place the potatoes on a cutting board and dice them into 1-inch pieces. Next mince the garlic and cut up onion into a large, rough dice.
In a large skillet heat oil over medium-low heat. Put the onions and garlic in the skillet and sauté until they start to turn brown.
Next, throw in the diced potatoes and mushrooms. Stir well and then slightly press/pack them. You want the pan to be hot enough to crisp the potatoes but not hot enough to char them. Cook for several minutes and then flip them with a spatula. Salt and Pepper them as they cook. Cook until desired brownness.
Add mixed spices and coarse black pepper for garnishing.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm this looks good. I organised brunch at my place for my friends some time ago and cooked heaps, mainly by myself. But I didn't take any pics :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha organise another one! homemade brunch is always the best! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...