Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pecan date tarts

Can you believe that I've never tried a pecan prior to this? Yeah, I know, sad life right. Anyway, when I saw some pecans in the baking supplies store, do I need to even stop and consider what I was going to do with it? Nope. It's going to be the classic pecan tart for me. And yes, I've also yet to try an authentic pecan pie/tart in my life. I know. The calamity.

Pecan maple date tart
Fluted tins; Pecans (!); Mini pecan tarts

Ripping open the small bag of pecans (hey, the nuts are damn pricey), the first thing I needed to do was, of course, pop one pecan into my mouth, just to try how a pecan taste like. It was a little similar to the walnut, just less drier, and sweeter. It tasted...interesting. Untoasted nuts are always just a tad....uninspiring. Meh. I should have toasted one before trying it.

More pecans; Pecan tart slice

I was all for making a pecan pecan pie, but then, I've heard stories that this dessert is very sweet, so I decided to amend my version to a pecan tart instead, which is totally similar to a pie, just a shallower depth so there would be less filling per serving. When I saw this recipe, I immediately knew I was going to use it. I had dates in the fridge, and the combination of maple syrup sounds, well, delish. I amended a few things for the recipe. Like since I had leftover tart dough in the fridge, I didn't make the recipe's pie crust. And it seemed like there was simply way too much sugar, so as I measured my ingredients, I under-measured the quantities of sugar, maple syrup and corn syrup used. Oh, and cos I was making a handful of small tarts, and a medium sized tart, I halved the recipe, and even so, there was still too much filling.


Verdict? I think it tasted good out of the oven, but it was really, too sweet. Even after reducing the sweet ingredients. Hmmm. I wonder if it's the recipe, or just pecan pie/tart in general. Perhaps it's the recipe? Cos dates themselves are pretty sweet already, and the addition of maple syrup probably was the killer factor. It was nice still, just in small dosage. Luckily I made the tarts miniature, a small tart after lunch/dinner is just the right size for dessert.

I think I should seek out a restaurant that sells pecan pie and try it for myself. I think I recall a girlfriend mentioning P.S Cafe's rendition was "to-die-for" to quote her words. I think I need to drop by P.S Cafe...soon? (:

4 comments:

  1. seriously? i've not come across PS cafe's pecan tart, or maybe i haven't looked closely enough. but i do like their desserts esp the ginger pudding with earl grey creme anglaise. we shd go together sometime, i like the ambience at palais rennaisance's :D

    i remembered making a pecan tassies when i just started baking, it turned out very well. cream cheese, pecans, molasses. was totally yum lor.

    http://bossacafez.blogspot.com/2006/06/pecan-tassies.html

    anyway hv u started using yr tart rings from sia huat? :D i really really wanna go back to xiahe in aug to get the square cake ring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tart looks beautiful. I actually just made an almond-date tart a few days ago and I was quite happy with it. Like you,I've found that these things are really sweet right out of the oven and allowing them to rest to room temp mellows them out a lot. That said, I think pecan tarts are generally on the sweet side so I'm sure you did everything right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. evan: i heard of their ginger pudding too!!! haha. can try! palais rennaisance have p.s cafe??? oooh i saw ur recipe! but cream cheese in the pastry? my sis doesn't really like cream cheese...

    NOOOOOOOOOOO haven use yet. haha. they are just staring at me...lol. yeaaah shucks nv ask the uncle aug when! early mid or late! meh!

    jean: thanks! it was just for the experience to try a pecan tart, i reckon i wont make it again but will just buy and try the real deal to see what's the difference. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tart looks beautiful. I actually just made an almond-date tart a few days ago and I was quite happy with it. Like you,I've found that these things are really sweet right out of the oven and allowing them to rest to room temp mellows them out a lot. That said, I think pecan tarts are generally on the sweet side so I'm sure you did everything right.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...