Monday, November 28, 2011

Kumquat madeleines

Imagine my pleasure when I saw punnets of kumquats in the supermart. There they were, small little bright orange jewels, packed in little plastic containers, sitting innocently on the racks. They were cheap too, and without even knowing what I was going to use them for, I happily grabbed two punnets, just because they're a fruit I've yet to work with before.

I know. I'm such a sucker like that.

Kumquat madeleines
Bright orange orbs

Pardon me while I coo over these small orange citrus fruits. Kumquats can be eaten raw, skin and all, and they're one of those fruits that are just begging to be candied. And that's precisely what I did with most of my stash. But that's for a seperate post later on.

I wanted to explore different ways of using these tiny treasures, but there weren't a lot of kumquat recipes online that I could find. I did manage to spot a recipe that was interesting - kumquat madeleines. Since my madeleines molds were just lying around collecting dust, I reckon I should dust them off and put them to use.



The Sis actually gave them a thumbs up, which is quite surprising since she's not a fan of cakes (or cake-lets like stuff in general). I thought they were pretty good too, the madeleines were really moist and they taste great when paired with a cuppa hot tea. I tried pairing with a roasted brown rice green tea, and while pleasant, I think they'll taste better if paired with a tea with citrus tones, perhaps yuzu or earl grey?
I reckon for a stronger kumquat flavour, chopped candied kumquats can be added to the batter.



Kumquat madeleines (adapted from Shirley at Kokken69)
(makes about 35-40 madeleines)

200g unsalted butter
4 large eggs
150g castor sugar
156g all purpose flour
74g ground almond
6g baking powder
pinch of fine sea salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
80g kumquat puree (pulped with skin using a blender)

Sift flour, ground almond and baking powder together. Add sugar to the sifted powder and mix well.
In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs till foamy, add dry ingredients to eggs to blend well. Add kumquat puree.
In the mean time, heat butter until butter boils and brown.
Add hot butter slowly into batter and mix well.
Spoon batter in a greased and floured madeleine mold. Bake for 7 minutes at 220C.

3 comments:

  1. michelle, i love those little kumquats madeleines.
    the fruit has a great tangy taste and your madleines look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. o yeah! me too got some from the supermarket..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...