Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Brown butter blueberry lemon muffins

My stash of muffins in the freezer were running a little short. I had to bake a new batch to replace the space so that I'll always have ready-to-go muffins for the just in case moments.

Brown butter blueberry lemon muffins

Blueberries and lemon zest

I decided to bake some blueberry muffins. It's been a while since I've had a berry muffin, and one that is topped with streusel no less. Streusel is yummy, but adds calories, that's why I rarely add streusel toppings to my muffins. But these muffins sound so good that I knew I had to stick to the original recipe. With the streusel.

Blueberries and lemon zest are another of those peanut butter and jelly, chocolate cookie and milk combinations. One without the other is good, but one together with the other just elevates the taste in your mouth. Agreed?
The house smelled really good while these were baking in the oven. When I removed them from the oven, I knew without tasting that they wouldn't disappoint. I offered a warm muffin to my Dad as a tea-time treat while he was reading the newspapers. He got a spoon, and dug in. And proceeded to scrape the liner clean. I was pleased. I asked him how did the muffin taste. He replied that it tasted good, warm. And it wasn't too sweet either. Perfect. Just how I would have phrased it myself exactly (after I had a taste of it myself).


Brown butter blueberry lemon muffins (adapted from at Elizabeth at Guilty Kitchen)
(makes 9-10 muffins)

Muffins
100g unsalted butter
1/3 cup whole milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
84g all purpose flour
112g whole wheat flour
170g sugar
zest from one lemon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups frozen blueberries (I had some raspberries in the mix too!)

Streusel
20g unsalted butter
30g all purpose flour
4 tbsp brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp quick cooking oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 190C.
In a small saucepan over medium high, melt the butter. Cook it down until the colour begins to change to a darker brown and there is a nutty smell (be careful not burn the butter!).
Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla in a small bowl. Add the butter to the milk and whisk to combine.
In a large bowl, whisk the flours, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
Add the butter and egg mixture all at once and gently stir to combine.
Fold in the frozen blueberries, be careful not to over mix (a few flour streaks in the batter is okay).
Divide equally among your muffin cups.
To make your topping, rub all your ingredients together with your fingers until crumbly. Sprinkle over the tins and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
Cool in muffin tin 10-15 minutes before removing to cooling rack.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...