Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Jones the Grocer

On a fine fine weekend, we drove into Dempsey in search for an awesome brunch. With the abundance of natural foliage surrounding the Dempsey area, it was like having brunch in a private forest. Just not forgetting the fact that in reality, it is certainly not a private forest, as the crowds always seem to descend on Dempsey during the weekends as there are several popular brunch places located there. Cafe Hacienda. P.S Cafe. Barracks. Jones the Grocer.
 
Jones the Grocer
Menu; Dual salt shakers; Chai latte; Morning brunch crowd

Scanning the menu, my eyes stopped at the words "Chai latte". It's been a long time since I last had a Chai latte.Mention Chai latte, and I would immediately think of my cousin Jos, and my bestie Mua. They love the beverage and I remember once we all were at Brisbane DFO shopping together, the both of them had like two glasses (each) of the drink at the cafe there. *tsk tsk*

Coconut pancakes; Divvying the food; English breakfast set; Interior of Jones the Grocer 
The feast brunch plate

After dividing the pancakes and breakfast platter, OMG, there seems to be quite a veritable amount of food for each person.Verdict? Nice.

Even though the menu reads "Coconut pancakes", don't be deceived. There wasn't nary of a hint of coconut whatsoever. The accompaniment of the slightly tangy mango cubes were great, when paired with the subtly sweet vanilla icecream (with real vanilla bean specks!) and  the soft fluffy pancakes. In fact, my sister, who's not a big fan of pancakes, proclaim it to be the best pancake she's ever had in Singapore (so far). That says a lot. I agree that it's indeed good, soft and thick fluffy pancakes, not at all comparable to the thin flat ones of a certain fast food chain. Hey I'm not complaining, I do like those thin flat ones too, I'm just saying that nothing beats a good hearty substantial pancake.

The English breakfast set was good, albeit a little too much, I can't imagine anyone finishing the whole plate by  oneself. The bread was scrumptious, and the rest of the sides (mushrooms, bacon, sausage, tomato) were pretty standard fare.

Poached egg

Look at that oozing egg yolk. That's one of my favourite way of enjoying the sinful yolk. Slide a half cooked egg onto a piece of buttered toast, then poke the egg so that the egg yolk flows out and then use a knife to spread the yolk over the bread. Then take a bite, and my eyes will flutter shut and I go all "mmmmmmmm". (:

Jam section inside Jones the Grocer
Bookshelves; Produce; Cupcakes counter; More produce

Jones the Grocer also sells a variety of pretty interesting produce that one probably find it hard to get at the normal supermarket. Things like Amedai chocolate, Rosewater, Truffle oils, etc. They also have a cheese room, a deli counter and a bread counter. Awesome. I browsed through the aisles, but didn't get anything cos we were headed to town for a shopping trip and I doubt anything would have stayed fresh and happy in the car while we shop. Jones the Grocer is a real nice place to chill out for a weekend brunch, and I'm sure I'll be back again in future. ;)

4 comments:

  1. chai latte is love! and babe yes keep up with the brunching sessions cos i'm going to need you to bring me around too all the brunch places in spore after i'm back from melb for good :( yay to brunch though!!
    -j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miiiicheeellllee! I stumbled upon your blog while surfing Evan's blog...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jams: yes i cant wait for weekend brunches with you cos i know you'll surely be up for it! hehe.

    allie: hellooooooooo. haha. that's cool i didn't know you had a blog too awesome! i see from your blog tt you bake quite frequently hey... do we get to try the goodies some time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. jams: yes i cant wait for weekend brunches with you cos i know you'll surely be up for it! hehe.

    allie: hellooooooooo. haha. that's cool i didn't know you had a blog too awesome! i see from your blog tt you bake quite frequently hey... do we get to try the goodies some time ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...