Thursday, May 05, 2011

Homemade granola

I love having granola for breakfast. Since my uni days, I've enjoyed pairing yogurt and granola, and sometimes, with a dollop of fresh berries or passion fruit. I've been making my own granola for quite some time, experimenting with different recipes. I was testing to see whether homemade granola can compare to store bought granola. While I've yet to achieve the exact texture of the store bought granola I enjoy, at least I know what goes into my granola, and I can adjust the flavours and additions according to my personal preferences.

Homemade granola with mixed fruits and nuts

I saw this recipe and was intrigued by the sound of it. It seemed like a really in-depth look into how granola can be made and improved. So I decided to try the recipe out. The first time round, I omitted the rice puffs cos I couldn't find any in the cereals section at the supermart. The granola tasted good, but not wow. I kept thinking whether it was the lack of rice puffs that mattered. Then, a few weeks later, I happened to chance upon a bag of organic mixed puffs (that contained a variety - buckwheat, spelt, brown rice, quinoa...) in the organic food aisle at the supermart. It went straight into my basket.

Were there any difference in the second batch of granola I made? While I still can't achieve the perfect storebought texture still, I thought that it tasted pretty good as the contrasting airy puffs provided a lighter bite to the overall finished product.

I added extra puffs after I have finished baking the granola cos during the process, the puffs sort of all glued itself onto the other ingredients (when I was clumping the wet mixture together using my hands). I like how the extra puffs added to the granola's pretty appearance.

Topped with a handful of fresh blueberries and some mixed fruit yogurt, it was a perfect start to the morning. :)


Mixed fruits and nuts granola (adapted from Sylvie from Gourmande In the Kitchen)

2 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 ½ cups quick cooking oats
2 cups mixed rice puffs (millet, buckwheat, brown rice, spelt...)
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup homemade applesauce
½ cup  honey
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup almonds, sliced
1 cup walnuts, chopped
½ cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins
1 cup dried apricots
2 cups mixed rice puffs (*additional)

Preheat the oven to 150C, placing the oven racks in the lower and middle of the oven.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the 2 kinds of oats, rice crisp cereal, cinnamon and sea salt. Stir to mix well.
In a seperate bowl, combine the fruit puree, honey, light brown sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Stir to mix well.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ones, and mix until completely blended (it’s best to use your hands to get everything evenly coated.)
Spread the mixture out evenly between the two prepared baking sheets. Squeeze clusters of granola together with slightly damp hands, allowing for space between the clumps in order for air to circulate while baking.
Place the baking sheets in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Rotate the baking sheets, flip over the granola with a large spatula and add the almonds and pumpkin seeds. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes (or more, depending on how thick the layer of granola) until completely dry and just golden brown.
Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets.
Bake the additional 2 cups of mixed rice puffs for 10 minutes and set aside to cool.
Combine everything and toss to mix before storing in an airtight container when completely cool.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Can't believe I still haven't tried making my own granola. I love it with yogurt =D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's super easy to make granola! once u start, u'd probably not want to buy storebought anymore! ^^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...