Sunday, October 03, 2010

Raindrops Cafe

It was a while since I last met up with one of my university girlfriends. We made plans to have dinner on a weekday to catch up with each other. She suggested Raindrops Cafe in town, and as I've not heard of or tried the place before, I was all game for it.

Raindrops Cafe at Scape Park
Cute blue and white polka dot napkins

I really like how cute and cosy the place was. It's really a tiny spot smack in the middle of town, not very crowded too as it seems that it's still a hidden gem. After ordering, we just spent our time catching up on our lives since we last met up.

Mini trio burger droplets with chips and salad
Calamari fries with tartar sauce; Squid ink prawn and scallops pasta

We shared an appetiser first before our main meals - calamari fries. They arrived piping hot on the table, the batter was crispy crunchy and dipped into the tartar sauce, the appetiser was yums. I like that the batter wasn't too doughy, nor soggy, as some places serve their calamari rings.  

My girlfriend ordered the squid ink pasta, I tried a mouthful and it was pretty decent. The noodles were cooked al dente, just the way I like it. 

L to R: Chicken; Beef, Crab meat

I couldn't resist ordering the burger droplets once I saw it on the menu cos how cute does "burger droplets" sound? And I really loved the dish! The plate came and I was squeeing away at how cute the mini buns were. Arn't they cute!!!

The buns oh the buns. I'm a carbs person, and I like most carbs. But these buns were AMAZING. I love them! I wonder if Raindrops Cafe sells their buns in bags, I'll be first in queue to buy them. Heh. The buns were soft and fluffy, and the bottoms of the halved buns were slightly toasted? I don't know how to describe it but to sum it up - awesomeness. 

The meat patties were done up very nicely too. As in, they were all moist and juicy, not dried out/overcooked. My favourite, as predictable, is the beef one. Just look at the above moist and juicy mini patty! It was still a tad pink in the middle (medium rare cooked). I wonder how they manage it since the patties were tiny and I reckon it would be easy to overcook mini patties no? The chicken was good too, it's really easy to churn out dry chicken meat, but the patty was succulent and flavourful. The crab meat, though good, didn't have much of a crab meat taste to it. It tasted seafood-ish but just didn't have that crab taste.

Mascarpone mousse

Though both of us were pretty stuffed by this time, we both agreed that we needed something sweet to end off the meal. After glancing at the menu again, the girlfriend chose the mascarpone mousse (in short, tiramisu) to share. The tiramisu was nice, with boozy undertones. However, I felt that the berries decoration were kinda...redundant. It just doesn't do anything to the overall dish, it's like just for decoration purposes? The berries were sourish, not sweet, so yeah, I rather they just omit it from the dish altogether.

In summary, Raindrops Cafe is a great place to have dinner as the prices are affordable and yums. Plus points to the fact that it's not too crowded as it's often very hard to find a place in town to have dinner without having to queue for some time. As it's a really teeny place, it can only sit like a few handful of tables though, so I not sure whether the place will be packed during the weekend. :)

5 comments:

  1. I've never been there before, but I adore the chic-rustic-ness of it. I admit, I scrolled all the way down to see that fab dessert! I love iika, but I'm not a fan of the iika ink, whenever I would cook iika, I have to take off all the purple skin, it has a strong pungent taste, is that how the pasta tasted?

    Do you like the tirmisu that has a more boozy undertone or a more coffee? It sounds as if you had a fantastic time = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl paraphernalia: nope, it doesn't have a strong squid ink taste. hmmmm well i like a tiramisu that has both strong boozy AND coffee tones. makes it helluva tastier dont u agree? (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes.. absolutely, I love to eat it layer by layer, and get an awaking in my taste-buds each bite... I tried soaking the genoise in a coffee/liqueur, and it came out nicely, but .... my favorite of them all is the the top.. I wish that layer went on forever = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok you are officially my food guide in Singapore :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been there before, but I adore the chic-rustic-ness of it. I admit, I scrolled all the way down to see that fab dessert! I love iika, but I'm not a fan of the iika ink, whenever I would cook iika, I have to take off all the purple skin, it has a strong pungent taste, is that how the pasta tasted?

    Do you like the tirmisu that has a more boozy undertone or a more coffee? It sounds as if you had a fantastic time = )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...