Saturday, October 23, 2010

Caramelised onions and triple mushroom quiches

With all that macaron baking I've been doing, I had some cream leftover from making ganache. I was wondering what to do with them, when I suddenly thought of quiches. They would make a great lunch idea and thus, I happily scoured my lists of "to-bakes" for inspiration. I was drawn to a quiche crust recipe made wholly from whole wheat flour (I substituted with wholemeal), and prepared the dough the night before.

Caramelised onions and triple mushrooms quiches

White button, Swiss brown and portabello mushrooms

had bought a pre-packaged pack of mix mushrooms, and decided to use them for the quiches. As there were only six quiches, I used half of the mushrooms featured above for the recipe.

Pâte Brisée; Caramelised onions; Mushrooms; Quiches
Mise en place; Filling the pre-baked pâte brisée dough

I really really liked how these quiches turned out. My girlfriend was at my place when I was leaving them out to cool, and we split a quiche between the two of us before we headed out after that. I liked the texture of the quiche crust, and the filling was super yums with the caramelised onions and sautéed mushrooms providing flavour boost.

Sis also gave the thumbs up for the quiches, saying that she liked the crusts and the caramelised onions as well. In fact, after we finished the six quiches, shortly after (a week perhaps?), I made them again as I had the same ingredients on hand (more macarons haha). They were as delicious as the first time round. I'm so making this my default quiche crust from now on. Will probably experiment with flavour combinations in future - I am thinking a spinach or pumpkin filling will be good... :)

Wholemeal Pâte Brisée (adapted from 33flavors)
1 1/4 cups organic wholemeal flour
113g unsalted butter, very-cold, cut into small cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 heaping teaspoon sugar
2 to 4 tbsp ice cold water

In a large mixing bowl, add flour, salt, and sugar and stir to combine. Add butter and using a fork, mix the ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal, with small pieces of butter. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until mixture just begins to clump together. If you pinch some of the crumbly dough and it holds together, it's ready, if not, add a little more water and mix again. Roll out the dough into six tart molds, handling the dough as little as necessary. Prick the dough with a fork and return to fridge to chill for at least one hour (I chilled mine overnight).

Caramelised Onions and triple mushrooms quiches
2 large onions, thinly sliced
medley of mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 eggs
cream
pepper and salt
dried herbs
shredded mozarella
olive oil

Heat olive oil in a pan and add sliced onions when pan is hot. Season with salt and stir fry slightly till slightly softened, lower heat to medium and continue to cook for 30-45minutes, stirring occasionally till onions are brown. Remove from pan and place in a bowl to cool. Using the same pan (without washing), add some more olive oil and heat till slightly hot. Add chopped mushrooms, season with salt, pepper and dried herbs. Remove from heat when mushrooms are cooked and cool.

Preheat oven to 175 degree Celsius. When oven is hot, remove tart molds from fridge, line with foil and weights and blind bake the tart dough for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and weights and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven to cool slightly.

Sprinkle some shredded mozarella cheese over the slightly warm pre-baked crusts. Divide the caramelised onions and mushrooms evenly among the six molds.

Beat the eggs and add the cream and mix. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over the filled crusts and return baking tray to oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle additional shredded mozarella over the tops and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes till cheese melts, or until quiches set. Remove from oven and cool. Serve warm.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, these quiches look so fantastic!! I love the combination of caramelised onion and mushrooms.

    I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new vegetarian food photo gallery showcasing beautiful and flavorful vegetarian food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, mushroom and cheese?? Can I have some please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these quiches look so fantastic!! I love the combination of caramelised onion and mushrooms.

    I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new vegetarian food photo gallery showcasing beautiful and flavorful vegetarian food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, mushroom and cheese?? Can I have some please?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...