Saturday, April 19, 2014

Anthesis Boulangerie, Bistro & Café

Robertson Quay is a hot spot for brunch spots. Anthesis is the latest newcomer to the block, well, sort of anyway since it's like not even a year old.

Anthesis Eggs Three-Ways



I've actually been there twice for brunch. The first time with a group of girl friends, on a late weekend arvo. Late brunch that is.

Truffled Eggs Benny
The Colossal Breakfast (and yes, it comes in a set as above)
Anthesis Sea Prawn Capellini 
Banana Split Brioche French Toast Stack

On my first visit there, we ordered quite a few dishes to share. There were hits and misses. Mostly hits of course (for I prob wouldn't have revisited it if there were more misses). The truffled eggs benny were alright, there was a mild hint of truffle taste, and the eggs were perfectly poached.

Though Anthesis pride itself with its freshly baked breads, we didn't really touch the three slices of breads served alongside the Colossal Breakfast cos frankly, they didn't seem too exciting. The baked eggs was yums though!

Thumbs up for the prawn capellini tossed in lobster oil. The noodles were al dente and perfectly seasoned. The dish sorta grows on you, if you get what I mean. It tasted just okay to me on my first mouthful, but then as I took another, and yet another forkful, it seemed hard to stay away from the dish.

The french toast was tasty, but nothing beats Dean & Deluca. Ha. Loved the crispy caramelised layer on the banana slices. It's like creme bruleed bananas.



I popped by the place again on an early morning breakfast with a girl pal. Both times I was there, the place wasn't too packed. Phew. I hate overly crowded places.


The girl pal ordered the Truffled Eggs Benny, while I got the Anthesis Eggs Three-Ways. Self explanatory dish. The mini sliders were filled with a poached eggs benny, an egg frittata, and scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. I loved the mini brioche slider buns! Super cute and small, with fluffy innards and toasty crusts. Nothing to complain about the perfectly poached egg and scrambled eggs, but I thought the frittata one was a tad dry. It would have been nice if there was some sauce or even a slice of tomato to go with it cos it was hard to swallow dry crumbs.

The dish came with a side of bacon and sausages. As I'm not a fan of bacon, I left it untouched on the plate and when the staff was clearing the plate, he was concerned and asked if I didn't like it. I had to tell him that no it was fine, it's just that I don't really like bacon. Pretty nice of him to ask though.


It's a pretty nice place to hang out. And I like how their breakfast items aren't of the cookie cutter variety offered at every other new cafe spots. Coffee is pretty reasonable too. Worth checking out if you're in the vicinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...