Saturday, March 10, 2012

Cappuchino praline brownie cheesecake

This was my secret indulgence last month when I was PMS-ing. I tend to crave chocolate intensely once a month, and this was my February fix to those cravings.

 Cappuchino praline brownie cheesecake


If you follow my blog, you would notice that I've been blogging less frequently as of late. I'm still enjoying my food and food photography, just that it was getting a little tiring to upload and edit photos and compose blog posts (sometimes I get a little weary thinking of what to write). I've been blogging since my high school days (through my personal blog in the past), so it has been say close to ten years? I've only started to blog about food for the past three years or so. And while it has been a really fun and exciting journey documenting my food experiences, I think I just hit a plateau somewhere in the beginning of this year.

While I don't think I would stop blogging, I might take a short step away from frequent postings this few months, probably because I'm really busy at work these days, and I just want to rest and go out with my friends on the weekends, and not worry about pending blog posts work. Once I get my funk back, I should be posting more regularly again.

Back to this brownie cheesecake. I had a block of cream cheese in the refrigerator which I had bought just as a "just in case I need it" item. Well, I never got around to using it, and since it was nearing its expiry date, I decided to make something good outta it. I've always wanted to try making a brownie cheesecake of some sorts. I mean, it just sounds so rich and sinful and everything...

I modified the recipe slightly, making additions here and there and the end results were amazing. I was afraid that the layers might be overbaked or dry, but as I had reduced the baking time and used a damp kitchen towel (instead of a water bath), both layers were delightfully moist and gooey and dense. Mmmmmm. Be warned that this brownie cheesecake is really rich though, so a small slice definitely goes a long way.


This is one sinful, indulgent and guilty dessert. And that just about sums it all up. :)


Cappuchino praline brownie cheesecake (adapted from here)


Cappuchino praline brownie
100g butter
90g dark semi sweet chocolate
3 tbsp ground hazelnut praline powder
150g sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, lightly beaten
60g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
2.5 tbsp instant coffee granules

Over a double boiler of simmering water, melt the butter and chocolate. Once melted take it off the heat and add in the eggs, sugar and essence. Mix well.
Add the flour, cocoa and coffee granules. Stir with a spatula and fold until just mixed and no flour remains visible.
Pour into an 5.5" inch removable bottomed pan that has been buttered and floured. Bake in a pre-heated oven of 150C for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is quite firm but not too firm.

Cheesecake
225g cream cheese
75g castor sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Cream cheese in a mixer until smooth. add the sugar, essence and continue to beat until smooth. Add the eggs a little at a time until well mixed. Pour batter over the brownie bottom and bake in 170C oven for 40 -45 minutes or until the top of the cheesecake feels firm and is a lovely golden brown, amber almost. Turn off the oven an allow to cool in the oven with the oven door slightly ajar so that the cheesecake will not crack.

TIP : As I did not want the brownie layer to be overcooked, I wrapped the baking tin with a wet kitchen towel - providing some insulation to the bottom brownie layer from the heat so that it does not overcook.

11 comments:

  1. Oh man, I've never seen a brownie used as a cheesecake base before... But it is genius and awesome. I can only imagine how great it tastes! Will definitely have to try this one out~


    Pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a gd rest babe! we all suffer from blog burnouts so don't worry about that. given your love for food, blogging & photography you'll be back in no time :)

    lovely cheesecake and i just know its very awesome with the brownie base. white & black is so pretty as well! btw i didnt know thats how u spell it, i always spell as cappuccino and not cappuchino! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark  this one ! Will make it soon. Everything looks perfect and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! This sounds like heaven!! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. hope you get out of your funk soon because I'm missing your blog posts! And I happen to have a "just in case" block of cream cheese in the fridge as well - gotta try this brownie cheesecake soon! i love brownies paired with mousses and cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeps i certainly hope so. my backlogs are piling up like crazy mad just because i dont want to think about them! :D oh im not sure whats the correct spelling - i spelt wrongly i guess, it should be without the 'h'. whoops hee. and yes it tasted qutie awesome if i can say so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi there janine. glad to know that someone reads my posts! and i certainly hope too tt i get outta the funk. :D the brownie and cheesecake combo is fantastic. trust me! hee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi michelle! Found your super yummy blog - gwen (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah, i completely understand what you mean.. there are days i just feel like loading my pics up only without having to write anything.. have a good break....I'm going to miss your post.. i think you have one of the bestest blogs and photography here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know those chocolate craving days, and this cake looks like a great "medicine".

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha. yeps. i want to have a good break, yet at the same i worry that my photos are all piling up like crazy!!! lol. thank you so much for the words! means a lot to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...