Saturday, January 28, 2012

Crabsticks rangoon on pastry shells

I had a potluck gathering with some good friends last week. We discussed menu ideas through Whatsapp (isn't technology awesome?) and I decided to bring some appetizers and a dessert. We've been through this quite a few times already, and since it was a small party of five, we've (learnt through past experience) to keep the portions small so that we wouldn't end up with too much leftovers.

Appetizers: Crabsticks rangoon on pastry shells

I had some leftover shortcrust pastry given to me by my girlfriend who left it here after her cooking session and wanted to use it up. While surfing Foodgawker, I chanced upon this really interesting appetizer and decided to make it for the potluck,

I made a few extra portions, and gave it to my family to try before heading out for the potluck. All of them gave the thumbs up for this. My friends also seemed to like it. Well, at the least, they polished it off quite happily.

I think it's a really tasty appetizer with a pretty unique presentation idea. I saved some time by using storebought pastry, but you could always make your own if you have the time. And the crabsticks filling was super easy to whip up too. I think this is one dish I'll be repeating with several variations in the future!


Crabsticks rangoon on pastry shells (adapted from here)
storebought shortcrust pastry (or make your own!)
10 crabsticks
mayo
coarse black pepper
chives, chopped

Wash crabsticks after removing the plastic casings. Parboil for a minute or two in hot water to soften it slightly.
Rinse in cold water in a colander and drain to dry. Shred and chop the crabsticks in small pieces.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, taste and add more mayo and black pepper as neccessary. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.

Defrost pastry according to the package's instructions.
Wash and dry several Chinese soup spoons. Butter them generously and set aside.
When the pastry is at room temperature (mine defrosted within 5 minutes...due to my country's tropical climate...), pick up the whole sheet of pastry and press it down on a buttered Chinese spoon. (Try to line using as close to the edge of the pastry sheet as possible)
Trim the excess pastry off and prick all over with a fork. Set aside.
Repeat with remaining spoons. Wrap each individual spoon with a layer of foil to prevent browning and place the spoons on a baking tray. Preheat oven to 175C. Bake 10-15 minutes, remove tray from oven and remove the foil wrappers. Return the tray to the oven and continue baking for another 10 minutes or so (or until pastry turns brown). Remove from oven and set aside to cool.

Top the cooled pastry spoons with the crabsticks filling, sprinkle some freshly chopped chives and serve immediately.

10 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I think you came up with a fantastic presentation. It's a definite must-try. I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spoon shaped pasty is such a good idea!!! =) Keep up the blogging! I love looking at all the photos of the yummy food ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. the use of puff pastry in this recipe is definitely so unique!

    http://iphoneography.posterous.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the presentation! And I didn't know chinese soup spoons could be used in the oven - loved the fact that you used something so plebeian to make something so stellar :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I love your take on my recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great!  You have a gorgeous blog with such lovely pictures! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! You have a gorgeous blog with such lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha i took a chance with the spoons. luckily they didn't break or anything cos i only have a few in the hse! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I can only use my crab sticks for sushi forever!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...