Thursday, November 01, 2012

Black Sesame Madeleines (マドレーヌ黒ゴマ)

Don't mind me. I'm just you know, on a massive Asian flavours baking spree.

You will notice that the last few posts (and the next coming ones), featuring lots of purple sweet potatoes, black sesame and matcha flavoured desserts. I'm a big, huge, nah, strike that again, gargantuan fan of these flavours, and it's rare that I go all out to indulge myself in these flavours (rather than sticking to regular flavours like chocolate - not that I have anything against it; or lemon - which I love too by the way). So allow me to spam these flavours for a bit and more.

Black Sesame Madeleines (マドレーヌ黒ゴマ)


These are perfect little bites for tea time. They are like small little cakes, chockful of strong nutty black sesame tones. It is quite easy to pop a few into your mouth, one after another and another, and another, then look back and think, "Erm, so how many have I eaten already???" It is even better when paired with hot tea (I would think English or regular Ceylon black tea will be good).

Enjoy!

Black Sesame Madeleines (マドレーヌ黒ゴマ) (adapted from Shirkey at AtKokken)
(makes 20 madeleines)

65g AP flour
25g black sesame flour
1/2 tsp (2g) baking powder
90g sugar
pinch salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
100g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature

Sift flour, sesame flour, baking powder together and put aside
Combine the eggs with sugar and salt, whisk lightly.  Add butter, use an electric mixer to .
At low speed, add in dry flours ingredients – stirring enough to blend the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
Cover batter with a cling film and refrigerate over night.
Preheat oven to 175C.
Bake batter in buttered and floured madeleine moulds for 12-15 mins. (Be careful not to overfill the batter in the moulds. I did for the first 10 and the edges expanded past the mould size. I got about 17 madeleines in all, but I reckon if you distribute the batter evenly, you can get 20 perfect sized madeleines. Also, note the baking time, my second batch browned pretty quickly while I wasn't looking.)
Remove from mold and cool down.

6 comments:

  1. Irene @ {a swoonful of sugar}Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:25:00 pm

    Mmmm they look divine! I really do need to get myself a madeleine pan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lokness @ The Missing LoknessSaturday, November 03, 2012 8:31:00 am

    Sesame madeleine! Very unique. Never seen any madeleine with sesame. Looks delicious! Where do you get sesame flour? Make it from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These madeleines look wonderful. I really enjoy eating madeleines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Irene! once u get the pan, im sure u'll have fun baking loads of madeleines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hee thank u! i love eating them with tea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. u can make yourself from grinding toasted black sesame seeds. but i actually got mine at Daiso. black sesame flour is equivalent to black sesame powder. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...