Monday, August 13, 2012

Bacon caramel popcorn nomnoms

Once you step into the working world, I gradually realise that life will always be a cycle of "Hello, my name is XXX, and you are?" when you first meet your new colleagues, to "Bye! Farewell and wish you all the best in your new job!" when your colleagues leave for greener pastures.

Colleagues are the people you see most often than anyone else I guess. You see them five times a week, for at least nine hours. You lunch with them. You gossip together. You might even go out with them outside working hours too. So, in most cases, you would probably pray hard that you get colleagues that you can get along well with.

I bid farewell to one of my colleagues last month. She loves savoury stuff, and has been a guinea pig tasted some of my baked goods that I've brought to work. I've made some maple bacon macarons before for her to try, and when I saw a recipe for bacon caramel popcorn, I offhandedly said that I'll make some for her some time soon. Well, the time for "some time" came soon then expected, so I made these for her before her last day at work came about.


Bacon caramel popcorn nomnoms


These were sooooooooo addictive. When I first told the Sis that I'll be making some bacon caramel popcorn, I expected her to be excited at the prospect (note - the Sis loves bacon). Contrary, she was like bacon what? Apparantly, she likes bacon, but not bacon flavoured things (tsk, how unadventurous). Anyway, she did say that she'll try some when it's done.

Well, she took more than a bite. After I passed her a small clump of popcorn to try, she followed me back to the kitchen and started munching on it. Whatever happened to "try some"? *smirks*

And, said colleague seemed to like it as well. And that's what matters. People liking it.

I'm not even a bacon person, but I knew that adding slightly more bacon than the recipe called for will not hurt (hey, you can never have too much bacon right?). I can't really taste the tea flavour from the infused cream, just caramel mostly. So I presume skipping the tea infusing stage would probably work just as fine.

I still have quite a large bag of popcorn kernals. I need to start scouring for more popcorn flavours to experiment with. In the meantime, you're most welcome to drool at the photos here (or just go make some of your own!).


Bacon caramel popcorn (adapted from Kristen at The Endless Meal)

1/2 cup popcorn kernels
2 tbsp olive oil
7 pieces bacon, cooked crispy and chopped (Hell, you could add more. I added 1 extra ;D)
1/2 cup peanuts (optional)
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (+ 1 tbsp)
1 Ceylon black tea bag
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp maple syrup

Bring cream and tea bag just to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes, occasionally pressing on tea bag with back of spoon to release flavor. Discard tea bag. (The extra tbsp of cream should have made up for the cream that will have been soaked up by the tea leaves.)
Preheat oven to 150°C.
Combine popcorn and oil in covered heavy large pot. Make sure that all the popcorn kernels are evenly coated in oil. Heat over medium-high heat until kernels begin to pop. Lift pot just barely off of element and shake until popping stops.
Pour popcorn onto a large baking sheet.. Sprinkle salt and cayenne over popcorn and toss to coat. Sprinkle bacon (and peanuts) on top of popcorn.
Combine sugar, water and maple syrup in large saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high, boil without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, about 13 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately add cream (mixture will bubble up). Stir until blended.
Immediately drizzle caramel over popcorn mixture; toss to coat with wooden spoons. Spread caramel popcorn on a baking paper lined tray in an even layer. Place tray in oven and bake until caramel is shiny and coats popcorn, tossing mixture occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Using wooden spoons toss popcorn and breakup any large chunks. Let cool another 5 minutes and then toss again. Continue this until caramel popcorn is completely cool. Store in airtight container (in refrigerator). Best eaten within 2-3 days.

5 comments:

  1. One of my weakness is popcorn. Now, this is killing me from all it`s wonderfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is made better with bacon. My guy would be all over this, it's his favorite everythings. Can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations, you have a wonderful blog! I will follow you now! kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many servings does this recipe make? Hoping to make it for a baby shower this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi i forgot how much it actually made cos we nommed from it right from a bowl...;) however, the original source here > http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/09/bacon_and_cashew_caramel_corn states that it makes about 15 cups. hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...