Sunday, September 04, 2011

Loco moco

Loco moco. What's that? I've never heard of this dish before until I was researching on how to cook minced beef. Loco moco is a dish native to Hawaiian cuisine. The essential loco moco consists of white rice, topped with a hamburger patty, a fried egg, and brown gravy. Just imagine. Gravy, a beef patty, and a sunny side fried egg? You've so got me hooked, lined and sinkered.

 Loco moco
 Beef patties

I quickly seared the patties on both sides on high heat till the crispy charred edges formed, then turned the heat down to med low and placed the lid on to let it steam and cook for a few minutes.

I then used the same pan to prepare the egg afterwards, and I must say my attempt at getting a pretty white sunny side up was a pretty much fail plan. The residual beef juices were still in the pan so the egg was stained brown immediately upon being cracked into the pan. Oh well, it's certainly not picture-friendly, but tummy-friendly instead. ;)

It's quite easy to pack and assemble this dish at the office too. I just heat up the barley rice and patty (not the egg though cos the runny yolk will cook!), then add the egg on top and poured the sauce over everything. One bite and I was a happy girl the whole of lunch hour.



This is certainly one of the tastiest beef dish I've made so far (that's easy, since I don't normally handle beef as much as I would like to...). I will certainly make this again for sure. My addition of caramelised onions was spot on, I just wished I had thought to caramelise more (caramelised onions always shrink so much compared to normal stir fried onions) so that the onion flavour will be more pronounced. Sis also suggested adding something crunchy the next time round. I wonder what can I add. Hmmmm.

 Shredded raw cabbage salad with sesame dressing

Loco moco (adapted from Ann at Pig Pig's Corner)

Beef patties
350 g minced beef
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp mirin
3 tsp light soy sauce
1/8 tsp black pepper powder
1 large onion - diced
1 egg
1 cup panko breadcrumbs

Heat up a bit of oil in a pan. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cooked till caramelised. Allow to cool and add this to minced beef. Add all the other ingredients and mix to combine.

Form 4 large patties.
Pan fry on medium low heat with a bit of oil until browned all over and cooked through. Serve over barley rice, topped with a sunny side up egg, and a side of raw cabbage salad with sesame dressing.



Home-made tonkatsu sauce
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp mirin

Simply mix all ingredients in a bowl. Pour over meat, egg and rice.

3 comments:

  1. Андрей КулаковскийMonday, September 05, 2011 5:56:00 am

    its so tasty and sweet!!! thank you a lot!!! cant wait for your new articles, hope this site букмекеры   gonna help you to create them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, that is EXACTLY how I like my eggs,lol! Was looking for a loco moco recipe, thanks! Really like your blog, can't wait to read more...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would constitute a heavy and fulfilling lunch. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...