Friday, July 15, 2011

Chocolate whisky truffles

Remember earlier on I was talking about using up cream? Here's idea number two (that doesn't require any special equipment and oven usage too!) for using up cream - chocolate truffles. Chocolate whisky truffles, to be exact.

Chocolate whisky truffles


It's really easy to make truffles. Just two simple ingredients if you're making just a simple chocolate truffles - chocolate and cream. Additions are optional and limitless. Coffee granules, tea leaves, extracts, alcohols, fruit puree...there're tons of flavourings out there that I'm sure taste good with chocolate. I chose whisky, just because I spotted my Dad pouring the last bit of whisky outta the bottle. Yup, you heard right. I yelped loudly (or screeched, depending on whose perspective...) at him to stop and pour the pitiful amount of whisky back cos I wanted to use it for my truffles. I'm sheepish to say that I'm quite a Daddy's girl, cos he dutifully poured back that bit of whisky for me instead of downing it straight up. Awww. ;)

Whisky; Truffles
Would you like one too?

Chocolate whisky truffles (adapted from Sally at Cooking Lessons)

170g dark chocolate (70% cacao), finely chopped
1/3 cup cream
1/8 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 tbsp whiskey

Finely chop the chocolate and place in heatproof bowl.
Bring the cream to a simmer over medium heat in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and pour over choppped chocolate. Let stand to cool for a few minutes before stirring to mix.
Add the soft butter in pieces and stir until smooth. Add the whiskey a tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition until incorporated.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour, stirring from time to time, until the mixture is firm but not hard. You will use a small ice cream scoop or melon baller to shape the truffles.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
When the chocolate is firm, dip a melon baller, or a small ice-cream scoop in hot water and scoop the chocolate into small balls. Set them on the parchment-lined tray, and if necessary, use the tips of your fingers to press them into truffle-like balls.
Roll in cocoa powder and store in an air tight container in the fridge.

4 comments:

  1. In answer to your question, yes i would like one too! I am yet to make my own truffles but really fancy making something different than cakes or cookies, i have some leftover cream in the fridge indeed plus the inclusion of whisky just makes it a no brainer really doesnt it! Thank you for this and your truffles look really perfect :) 

    ReplyDelete
  2. your truffles look amazing, chelle! i wonder if anyone has a wider range of alcohol than u do, u can open yr wine shop/bar already lol. ah yes i'm thinking of using a mini ice cream scoop/melon baller if i make these since my palms are always hot so they wouldn't survive under the rolling :p did u use a baller/scoop as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha my alcohol range is only so-so. i have more tt i want to buy! ^^ yup, i've a melon ball scooper in the hse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm you had me at whiskey =D I actually just made some chocolate liqueur with vodka.  I bet that would work well in truffles too since it's already chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...